Best VPN for Japan
5 Best VPNs for Japan – Fast & Cheap Japanese VPN Services
Japan is an Asian country with a high level of Internet penetration. Indeed, this makes perfect sense because the Internet is of enormous value. As a result, millions of Japanese people are increasingly connecting to the information superhighway to take advantage of this value. In addition, there are no jurisdictional restrictions on the Internet in the country. Today, 90% of the country’s population is connected to the Internet.
Even if the authorities do not spy on ordinary Japanese people, the Internet remains vulnerable, as hackers are always trying to steal from unsuspecting Internet users. These scammers may not be based in Japan, but they are looking for vulnerable Internet users. Indeed, the country is not isolated when it comes to the Internet. Ordinary Japanese people must therefore make an effort to protect themselves against the machinations of cybercriminals.
The use of a Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology helps to secure Internet users. VPN technology essentially makes it possible to conceal the real identity of its users and to assign new IP addresses to them. In this way, hackers and ISPs do not decrypt the content of users’ data and do not determine their real IP addresses.
Now that you know why it’s important to protect yourself, there’s something else you need to know. There are many VPNs on the market, including fake ones. However, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, because we have compiled a list to help you choose the best Japanese VPN.
To be safe, people who surf the web, torrent and stream content online should do so using a Virtual Private Network (VPN). A VPN is an Internet technology that protects users by helping them access the Internet securely and confidentially. To do this, the service obfuscates your IP address, a unique number used to identify each device that has access to the Internet and assigns you another one. Ultimately, it will encrypt your traffic and change your location to any other location of your choice.
At this point, Japanese authorities, Internet Service Providers (ISPs) and hackers will have a hard time grasping your true identity and what you are doing online. In specific terms, this means that you are safe from prying eyes in Japan and around the world. Technology can also bypass barriers to accessing relevant geo-blocked sites, allowing users to access these sites securely.
5 Best VPN for Japan – Comparison Table
Top 5 Most Suitable VPN for Japan
5. VyprVPN – Great Service for Japan
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
VyprVPN is another company whose data centers are firmly managed by itself. In addition, this VPN for Japan also has the incredible speed to unlock geo-blocked websites in Japan and around the world – thanks to its more than 200,000 IP addresses linked to 700 servers in 70 locations around the world. Note that some of its servers are located in Japan and the rest of Asia. With this vast network of servers, it becomes fairly easy to bypass the firewalls of the American sites Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Amazon TV, or any other geo-restricted site for that matter.
In addition to the advantages mentioned so far, this VPN for Japan has been added to this list, as it guarantees you privacy and security when using the Internet from a public Wi-Fi network in Japan. Because no country is completely free of cybercrime, VyprVPN features DNS leakage protection, 256-bit AES encryption technology and SHA256 authentication. However, there is also a chameleon protocol that allows your data to pass through stringent security checks without prying eyes being able to detect the content of the traffic. All these advantages explain why this VPN for Japan stands out.
Supported Client Software:
- It uses a standard 256-bit for encryption
- NAT firewall is installed
- There is premium access to Chameleon
- It runs on all the popular operating systems
- It is good for torrenting and other P2P activities
- Activities on its network are monitored from a data center, ensuring that it remains secure
- Given that user’s security is a priority, this VPN gives both proprietary and normal encryptions
- The customer service works round the clock
- VyprVPN has an excellent connection speed
- It has the reputation for a non-logs DNS
- Going by monthly subscription, this VPN is a bit costlier
- The speed is a bit slow
- No crypto payment
In addition to inviting a third party audit firm to conduct a full audit of its infrastructure, VyprVPN has a dynamic customer service department. You can contact the team via email or live chat to resolve your technical issues or get answers to your questions in no time. In addition, it has a user-friendly application that runs on all operating systems: Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, etc.
This VPN for Japan also allows you to connect up to 5 devices at the same time. This means you can get your family, friends and colleagues in different Japanese cities connected while you do fun things together. If you like to do some torrents in your home country before you go to Yokohama, you’ll need this VPN to stay safe from the authorities while using the P2P file sharing protocol. While no one can rule out the possibility of a connection failure, you have an Internet kill switch that allows you to secure your data when this happens. In view of the above, it is fair to say that this VPN is a must.
Read our detailed review of VyprVPN.
4. CyberGhost – User-Friendly VPN for Japan
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
If you don’t like the previous VPN service for Japan, you should try CyberGhost. With more than 5,700 servers in 112 locations worldwide, CyberGhost has 32 super fast servers in Japan. This means that you have a wide distribution of servers that allows you to unlock local and foreign geo-blocked websites. As a result, you will be able to enjoy your favorite American and British celebrities when you stream these sites from your new home in Tokyo.
In precise terms, you can watch Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Amazon Fire TV and others without moving an inch from your home or hotel room in Japan. In addition, this VPN for Japan allows you to connect up to 7 devices at the same time. One of the most annoying experiences you can have is streaming from a slow server. To remedy this, CyberGhost has features such as split tunneling and unlimited bandwidth. With these features, you are assured of a buffer-free viewing experience.
Supported Client Software:
- It has more than 5,700 servers across 112 locations
- It runs on Windows, Linux, Android, iOS, and MacOS
- It has a 256-bit encryption
- This service can support the connection of 7 devices simultaneously
- There is an Internet kill switch
- No-log policy
- It enables users to effortlessly stream from Tokyo and the rest of Japan
- Its unlimited bandwidth makes torrenting more fun
- There is a customer service that offers real-time chat
- It block malicious ads and malware
- Users can connect from lots of extra devices, such as game consoles, smart TVs, smartphones, etc.
- Gives only a 24-hour trial period for the desktop version
- The connection speed is not encouraging
Based in Romania, CyberGhost makes promises to Japanese users and keeps them as well. Yes, that’s a plus! The truth is that VPN products that deliver on their promises are uncommon on the market, which is why this VPN deserves a place on this list. In addition, don’t forget to mention that it offers 24/7 customer service. In other words, you can encounter technical problems at any time and contact the helpdesk by email or live chat to assist you. Guess what, they’ll do it in a split second. With its anti-malware and ad-blocking features, you’re sure to get your money’s worth with this VPN for Japan.
With 44 servers hosted in Japan, there is no doubt that this VPN service provider wants Japanese residents to enjoy all the good things the Internet has to offer. This VPN is also affordable – at least more affordable than ExpressVPN. Finally, it requires only minimal configuration, which makes it user-friendly.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
3. NordVPN – Well-Secured VPN for Japan
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
A list of major VPN service providers would likely be incomplete if this VPN did not take the first place. Indeed, NordVPN stands out in the industry for a number of reasons. For example, it allows up to 6 devices to be connected at the same time, and it is cool for torrenting and streaming, especially in Japan.
But the most significant advantage of this VPN product is the ability to offer users superb security thanks to its dual encryption technology. Basically, this means that data is encrypted twice, which prevents hackers from decrypting the content. So you don’t have to worry about your personal information wherever you are, in Japan or anywhere else in the world.
Supported Client Software:
- NordVPN has a no-log policy
- There is a smart DNS service
- The software is user-friendly
- It allows 6 devices to connect at the same time
- DoubleVPN ensures that there is more protection
- This service has a kill switch
- As a Panama-based cybersecurity service provider, the government influence the cybersecurity firm
- It offers unlimited peer-to-peer activity
- It is compatible with Windows, Linux, iOS, Android and Mac
- Its product is super fast
- There are zero logs
- It doesn’t block annoying ads
- The monthly subscription plan is a bit pricey
When it comes to having an extensive network of servers available worldwide, NordVPN is first among its peers. Of course, NordVPN has more than 5,100 servers in more than 60 locations worldwide, 69 of which are in Japan. The best explanation for this is that the Japanese have yet another VPN service provider that ensures their importance.
In addition, there are other interesting advantages, such as servers for anti-DDoS attacks and 256-bit and 2,048-bit SSL keys for military-grade encryption. Not to mention Dual VPN. All these elements work together to give the user the best value for money. You should give it a try!
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
2. IPVanish – Multi-Featured VPN for Japan
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
To go further, IPVanish is one of the best VPN for Japan, as it manages all its servers. This means that this VPN guarantees that none of its servers are outsourced to a third party company, thus introducing a certain level of security, trust and assurance. In addition, IPVanish has 1,500 servers in 75 locations worldwide, including 6 in Japan. Thanks to the wide distribution of servers, you can easily bypass all local and foreign streaming sites in Japan.
Since it is based in the US, which is not ideal for a VPN company, IPVanish does not keep logs and has DNS leakage protection. And that’s not all: there are SHA512 authentication and DHE-RSA 2048 key exchange, which guarantees user privacy. All these measures are taken to protect the interests of its users. In addition, the servers are fully optimized in terms of speed – thanks to the shared funnel and unlimited bandwidth. From Windows to Linux, from macOS to iOS, from Android to a router, the IPVanish application runs on all these operating systems. There are undoubtedly other fascinating features that have earned IPVanish a place among the best VPNs in Japan.
Supported Client Software:
- It has 1,500 servers for VPN deployed over 75 locations
- Unlimited bandwidth
- It has a no-logs policy
- This add-on allows unlimiteddevices to connect at the same time
- There is a SOCKS5 Web proxy
- IPVanish offers an excellent connection for security
- It is perfect for streaming sites
- This Japanese VPN supports many VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, IKEv2, etc.
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk team that handles users’ challenges via chats
- This VPN runs on Windows, Linux, Mac, iOS and Android
- Timestamping users’ connection is anything but good
As a VPN service provider that has the interests of the Japanese people at heart, IPVanish has 5 servers in Japan. Therefore, it does not hesitate to provide high quality services to a growing list of users in Japan and beyond.
Let’s not forget that it has first-class unlocking capabilities for geo-restricted sites such as BBC iPlayer and Hulu. If you like the torrent, you have absolutely nothing to fear, because IPVanish offers this service at breathtaking speed. If you are new to the VPN, you should consider it the best VPN for Japan. Try it today!
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
1. ExpressVPN – Fast VPN for Japan
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Here is an important VPN service you can rely on to enjoy your online activities in Japan. First of all, ExpressVPN has a total of 3,000 high-speed servers in 160 locations around the world. Of these servers, there are two servers in Japan. Thanks to the network of high-speed servers, users get up to 30,000 IP addresses to allow them to bypass geo-blocked sites such as Netflix, HBO, Amazon Fire Stick, etc.
In addition, ExpressVPN rightly deserves a place in this list, as it has an easy-to-use application. In other words, you don’t have to be a computer genius to be able to start bypassing all the geo-blocked sites in the Asian country. So if you are planning to travel to Japan from your home country, where you used to enjoy these services on a platter, ExpressVPN is the ideal VPN for you. The reason is that it is able to unlock these streaming sites thanks to its wide distribution of servers. All you need to do is follow its three-step installation process and connect. Then you will be able to unlock local and foreign pay services.
Supported Client Software:
- ExpressVPN doesn’t record logs
- Comes with an Internet kill switch
- I allows 5 devices to connect simultaneously
- More than 15,000 IP addresses
- It has lots of servers scattered across 94 countries around the world, including Japan
- There is an AES-256 encryption
- Buyers can get their money refunded if unsatisfied with the tech product
- ExpressVPN runs on Linux, Windows, iOS, Android and MacOS
- This service supports many protocols, such as OpenVPN, PPTP and IKEv2
- It guarantees seamless streaming of BBC iPlayer, Hulu and Netflix from Japan
- It has no ad blocker
- The monthly subscription plan is pricey
Are you in Tokyo or anywhere else in Japan? The fact is, when it comes to VPN services that walk the talk, you need to include ExpressVPN in your list. Over the years, it has become a key factor in the industry, setting the standard for what is expected from other VPN services. The benefits of ExpressVPN can go on indefinitely, because they seem endless.
For example, a technical support team is available 24 hours a day to answer user questions through live chat. Most importantly, it doesn’t store logs, it has DNS leakage protection, it has no bandwidth limitations, it has a shared tunnel and Internet kill switch, and it has 256-bit AES-CBC encryption. All these features work in harmony to make ExpressVPN one of the best VPNs in Japan. Feel free to join a growing list of Japanese people who think ExpressVPN is the best VPN for Japan.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
Why Should I Use a VPN in Japan?
In today’s world, Japan is one of the countries that tirelessly advocate the use of technology to improve our daily lives. Therefore, there is no strict law that prohibits online freedom. Despite this widely held opinion in the country, there are certain reasons why you should use a VPN in Japan. Let’s put them into context.
- Stop websites from acquiring your IP address: An IP address is a unique number assigned to each device that has access to the Internet. Thanks to your IP address, any website you visit can know your real location because the number that represents you is not really hidden. Although we believe that these sites keep track of your IP address for data analysis purposes, we cannot exclude the possibility that some of them may be using your data for the wrong reasons. Therefore, it is best to have a VPN for Japan that changes your IP address depending on the server you are connected to.
- Circumventing sites: As you already know, every time you leave your country’s borders, the way you interact on the Internet changes. That’s because you’ve entered another country’s cyberspace, where things are done differently. For example, as soon as you leave the United States, the Netflix library allows you to see these changes immediately. Yes, the same goes for the BBC iPlayer when you visit Tokyo from Manchester. Now you’ll need a VPN for Japan to bypass the firewalls of all the streaming giants and get back on track. In other words, the VPN for Japan helps you unlock Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Amazon Fire TV and more. After that, you will be able to enjoy your favorite programs and movies again. In addition to streaming sites, there are other sites that you will be denied access to without a VPN for Japan.
- File sharing: Like every other country in the world, the Japanese government is increasingly looking for torturers in order to disrupt the community and prosecute them. This is because Japan has had its share of BitTorrent users who share copyrighted material without the explicit approval of its rightful owners. Sharing intellectual property without the consent of the owners is a criminal offense everywhere in the world and Japan is no exception. To put it plainly, Japan disapproves of piracy. In fact, its anti-piracy law imposes a fine on violators. Nevertheless, the VPN for Japan protects you from the wrath of the government while you indulge in torrents of information with your family and friends.
- Safety from cybercriminals: With more than 119 million Japanese people having access to the Internet (Statistica.com, January 2019 statistics), any one of these users could be a victim of cybercrime. In reviewing the facts, the National Police Agency (NPA) of Japan reported that it had registered more than 130,000 cases of cybercrime in the country in 2017. Similarly, according to Statista.com, the Japanese lost more than $2.1 billion in 2017, adding that the figures are increasing every month. So, if you live in Japan or plan to travel there, you’ll need a VPN for Japan to protect yourself from all kinds of cybercrime.
Torrenting in Japan
Torrent simply means the transfer of files from one system to another via the BitTorrent protocol. In fact, most Japanese people participate in this file-sharing mechanism as a means of relaxation. According to Wikipedia, there were more illegal file downloads than legal downloads ten years ago in Japan.
As a result, the government has put in place a disciplinary mechanism to change the situation once and for all. In 2013, the government arrested about 27 people caught in the act of downloading various pirated content without the explicit consent of the owners.
Despite these measures to deter torrents, torrents still share huge amounts of material protected by the BitTorrent protocol, a practice that content publishers disapprove of. After deliberations with content creators, the government has announced measures that provide for fines of up to $128,300 for offenders who share pirated files through the torrent.
Going forward, the Government, in collaboration with these production companies, will take a strong stand in dealing with these cases. This has sent a bit of a signal that Japan condemns the downloading of pirated files via BitTorrent with the strongest possible conditions. It is therefore safe to say that downloading such intellectual property without the explicit consent of the owner is illegal in Japan.
At the beginning of 2019, Japan formulated a new copyright law, which aims to impose even harsher penalties on those who illegally share software, games, images, etc., and to make it illegal to download such files without the explicit consent of the owner. However, in March 2019, Japan suspended the law after it caused a strong public outcry. In any case, the torrent is banned in Japan. So, if you want to share torrents in Japan without powerful VPNs, you could get into big trouble.
Final Words About VPN for Japan
To conclude this guide, we must not fail to point out that there are certain factors to consider when choosing the best VPN for Japan. These factors help you separate the good products from the bad. These factors include no-logs policy, speed, server coverage, unlocking capabilities, price, and operating system compatibility.
As an example, all of the VPNs we’ve reviewed in this article qualify. In addition, torrents in Japan are heavily sanctioned. Therefore, you should take steps to stay safe while you are torrenting.
Are searches for free Japanese VPNs done over the Internet? If so, it’s a bit twisted. You see, these VPNs also have bills to pay. In case of a simple failure, they have to pay their staff, support their overhead and maintain their servers. So if you think they’re really free, you’re wrong, because some of them sell your data to the highest bidders to keep them running.
In addition, they show annoying ads at regular intervals, which you can’t stop. The truth is, if you need to look for adequate online protection, do so with a reputable VPN service provider, as we’ve outlined above. Do it now!