Best Anonymous VPNs
5 Best Anonymous VPNs to Use – Protect Your Privacy with No Logs VPN
It cannot be denied that millions of VPN users worldwide subscribe to this service because their privacy is more important than anything else. Therefore, these users are always interested to know if a VPN service has a no-log policy. If it doesn’t, that’s fine! But if they do, they want to know exactly what information the company keeps. For VPN companies that keep such logs, their policy varies from company to company.
In short, it is difficult to find out which product offers the best anonymous VPN service, because all VPN service providers in the market promise the same thing. We therefore decided to research the subject to determine the “sincere technology products” in this regard. So we’ve compiled some effective VPNs for you.
Why Do I Need a No-Logs VPN?
Basically, every VPN has a policy that clearly defines what the company does with your personal information. For example, VPNs may store information such as name, email address, location, Wi-Fi name, etc., which can be used by the company to manage your personal information. While encryption technology is important to maintain the anonymity of your online activities, you should understand that it is not enough.
You should always look for a VPN service that offers a “no log” policy and implements it to the letter as well. Here’s why: Sometimes the government discovers that a wanted person’s online activities are being masked by a VPN service.
In countries where the government respects human rights, government officials will apply to a court of competent jurisdiction for an injunction, ordering the VPN company to disclose the wanted person’s online information. If the VPN does not record users’ logs, there will be nothing to give them. Conversely, if the company does keep a record of user logs, the VPN provider will provide the authorities with the information they are looking for, helping them catch the person they are looking for.
While the latter solution sounds great, it is a blatant violation of everything VPN stands for. That’s why you should always be careful with VPNs that don’t have user logs, to avoid becoming a victim of such a breach. In short, you need a VPN without logs, so that they have nothing to show to government officials in such situations.
5 Best Anonymous VPNs – Comparison Table
Top 5 Anonymous VPN
5. CyberGhost – User-Friendly Option for Anonymity
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
Here’s another truly anonymous VPN that deserves a place on our list. This is true, given the excellent anonymity service it provides. CyberGhost has spearheaded the cause of ensuring that users access the Internet without interference from third parties. To this end, it has developed (and continuously improved) its high quality VPN infrastructure. As far as user anonymity is concerned, CyberGhost is not convincing, but it has other fascinating assets.
Supported Client Software:
- 5,700 servers scattered over 112 locations
- This service can support up to 7 devices connected at the same time
- There is a Wi-Fi protection
- This anonymous VPN supports lots of VPN protocols
- It has an Internet kill switch
- It runs on all operating systems
- This service is extremely easy to configure
- It also offers lots of interesting extras
- CyberGhost is cool for torrenting and streaming
- There is a helpdesk team that is always there to support users
- The interface does not look good
CyberGhost continues to make efforts to improve the security and anonymity of its users. To this end, it has more than 5,700 ultra-fast servers in 112 sites around the world. This means that you can use it to bypass geo-blocked sites and Internet filters of your choice. However, while you’re at it, it’s necessary to keep your identity hidden. That is why CyberGhost has deployed some of the best security features in the industry. Above all, this VPN reassures its global community of subscribers that it would not compromise their logs for anything in the world.
This explains why the team made the bold decision to become the first VPN provider to give the green light to an independent auditing firm to audit its services. In addition, CyberGhost blocks malicious advertisements and websites to protect users from harm. At the heart of its operations are DNS leakage protection and 256-bit AES encryption technology. Other key features ensure the anonymity of your online activities when you access the Internet from CyberGhost’s VPN. In fact, CyberGhost is one of the best VPNs on the market today.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
4. PrivateVPN – Affordable VPN for Anonymity
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
As far as user anonymity is concerned, PrivateVPN has made its mark on this list because it has many top-notch security features. For example, its no-log policy is perfectly clear: it has no idea what you are doing online. Yes, that’s a plus. Although the only information this VPN has about you is your email, PrivateVPN does not share it with third party companies. So you have absolutely nothing to worry about. With the appropriate VPN protocols pre-built in, PrivateVPN is compatible with all major operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, MacOS, routers, Kodi, Android and iOS. Thanks to ultra-fast servers located around the world, you can bypass the geo-blocked sites of your choice and explore the richness of their content.
When you browse these sites, PrivateVPN ensures that your anonymity is preserved, as it has the security features required for this purpose. More importantly, torrenting is a crucial issue because torrents are always targeted. As a result, PrivateVPN provides the security to protect you while content creators and the government look for ways to pinch and sue you. In fact, it is one of the best anonymous VPNs for people on low incomes. Other security features that ensure user anonymity include DNS leakage protection and the emergency kill switch. With all this and much more, your anonymity is not in doubt when you access the Internet from this PrivateVPN.
Supported Client Software:
- It is readily available in 150 locations around the world
- This service supports up to 6 devices simultaneously
- It supports lots of VPN protocols
- NAT Firewall is installed
- It has a no-log policy
- Going beyond user anonymity, this tech product is good for streaming
- There is a robust security
- This VPN is very affordable
- The connection is fast and reliable
- It is easy to use
- Not a lot of servers available
- No round-the-clock helpdesk team
At this point, you’ve seen some of the things that make this Hong Kong-based VPN one of the most reputable in the industry. To go further, you’ll be interested to know that this VPN has 256-bit AES encryption technology, which ensures that your identity remains sealed every time you surf the web, bypass Internet censorship and share P2P files using BitTorrent protocols. Many VPN protocols are fully optimized on PrivateVPN. For example, there are OpenVPN, SSTP, IKEv2, PPTP, SSTP and L2TP/IPsec. With all these VPN protocols running on PrivateVPN, you can safely access the Internet for online gaming, streaming and web browsing.
In addition, it has very good upload and download speeds, allowing you to enjoy the benefits of an uninterrupted Internet connection. This speed is possible thanks to unlimited bandwidth and a split tunnel. Note that it was not possible to bypass US Netflix in the past. However, PrivateVPN can now unlock the US streaming giant – thanks to its commitment to continuous improvement. To enjoy your VPN, speed is essential. Private VPN also has IPv6 leakage protection, which adds a layer of anonymity to your online activities. From the above, it’s clear that this VPN is one of the best anonymous VPNs out there.
Read our detailed review of PrivateVPN.
3. VyprVPN – Reliable Anonymous VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
VyprVPN is another VPN that provides you with anonymity when you access the Internet. With up to 200,000 IP addresses for its subscribers worldwide, you can always count on this VPN to assign you IP addresses that allow you to bypass geo-blocked sites such as US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Amazon Fire TV, etc. In total, it has 700 high-speed servers deployed in 70 locations around the world. This means that you can connect to any server of your choice and start unlocking the geo-blocked sites of your choice. You should also know that it has Chameleon technology.
As far as anonymity is concerned, this VPN has the necessary security features that allow you to access the Internet safely. For example, it has military-grade AES 256-bit CBC encryption, a no-log policy, IPv6 leakage protection, an Internet kill switch, and many other security features. In fact, this is because it controls the entire architecture of its servers. In other words, it does not outsource the management of its servers to third party companies. With all of these features to enhance your security, VyprVPN remains one of the best anonymous VPNs in the cybersecurity industry.
Supported Client Software:
- It has over 700 servers across 70 locations around the world
- This service supports the simultaneous connection of 5 devices
- It is configurable
- This VPN supports many protocols
- NAT Firewall is enabled
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk team
- This service guarantees safety
- It strictly applies its no-log policy
- VyprVPN is superfast when establishing connection
- It runs on all the operating systems
- The helpdesk team needs to be improved
- While it supports Windows OS, it usually encounters some challenges
- The monthly renewal price is high
So far, we’ve been able to explore some of the top-notch features that make this VPN a must-have. There are even more exciting features. Another bold step taken by VyprVPN is to provide all the technical tools needed to support the torrent. We can’t stress this enough: Torrents are targeted worldwide because content developers strongly believe they violate online copyright laws. But with VyprVPN, you have a VPN service that keeps your online activities anonymous. Based in Switzerland, VyprVPN has 2,048-bit RSA keys and SHA-256 authentication. This is another step taken by this VPN to improve your security – what is called absolute secrecy.
While a VPN has perfect confidentiality, it does not allow compromised encryption keys to see past sessions. Most importantly, VyprVPN has its own DNS server, which is why you are not allowed to switch to a third-party DNS if you wish. To improve user security, it does not allow DNS leaks by default. Well, PPTP, L2TP/IPsec and OpenVPN are VPN protocols that are readily available in VyprVPN. There is a Wi-Fi protection feature, which allows you to stay safe when accessing the Internet from public Wi-Fi. All these benefits and many more have earned this VPN a place in this list.
Read our detailed review of VyprVPN.
2. NordVPN – Fast No-Logs VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Here’s a VPN provider that is leading the way in providing anonymous internet services. Based in Panama, NordVPN has one of the best encryption technologies in the industry. As a result, it has become the reference point whenever user anonymity is essential. For starters, NordVPN has what cybersecurity experts call Double VPN. In case you don’t know it, Double VPN is a technology that allows you to encrypt your traffic twice. It is certainly a unique encryption technology because it is much better than what other VPN providers offer. On closer inspection, the technology is unique because your data is routed through different VPN servers, instead of just one, which many other VPN companies are currently implementing.
Without a doubt, this adds a layer of security. In addition, NordVPN is equipped with Onion over VPN, which means that Internet traffic passes through the provider’s server as well as through the Onion network before it reaches the subscriber. With 5,100 super-fast servers in 60 locations worldwide, you can effortlessly bypass Internet filters. In fact, you are always guaranteed to be able to unblock them anonymously. All this and much more explains why NordVPN has been awarded this place in this review of the best anonymous VPNs.
Supported Client Software:
- It has some dedicated IPs
- There are double DNS and smart DNS services
- It allows up to 6 devices to connect at the same time
- It has up to 5,300 servers scattered around 60 locations worldwide
- This service has an Internet kill switch
- It runs on all operating systems
- This service is good for unblocking geo-restricted websites
- It also supports torrenting
- NordVPN offers a wide range of payment options, including Bitcoin payment
- 2048-bit encryption guarantees that user anonymity remains a top priority
- There is a DNS leak protection
- Establishing initial connection may be confusing
In concluding this review of NordVPN, it should be noted that other security features make NordVPN one of the best anonymous VPNs available. We must emphasize that a review of NordVPN would be incomplete without mentioning its 256-bit AES encryption, which plays a critical role in encrypting your data so that no one else can decrypt its contents. As far as its protocols are concerned, NordVPN has the IKEv2/IPsec security protocol, which works seamlessly with iOS and macOS. For Windows and Android devices, they use the OpenVPN VPN protocols.
All of these features work in harmony to provide you with enterprise-class security. In the end, you won’t have to worry about your traffic being intercepted and decrypted. Yes, you’ll browse the web anonymously, chat with friends, unlock geo-restricted sites, and torrent as you please. As far as the torrent is concerned, your security should matter to you, as torrents are the main targets of governments and content creators around the world. However, NordVPN protects you when you surf the web. Finally, you don’t have to stumble upon malicious advertisements and websites when you access the Internet using this service. All this explains why this VPN deserves a place in this list of the best anonymous VPNs.
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
1. ExpressVPN – All-Round Anonymous VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Without a doubt, many VPN users subscribe to this service because they want to browse the web anonymously and do other fun things online. So one of the best VPN services you can always count on is ExpressVPN. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN offers some of the best security features in the cybersecurity industry. For example, this VPN has 256-bit AES encryption, which provides users with military-grade encryption. This means that no one will be able to decrypt the content of your traffic.
In a concerted effort to protect its subscribers’ communication channels, ExpressVPN has a 4096-bit RSA encrypted handshake. That’s not all it has to offer when it comes to security. However, this VPN does have another security feature known as HMAC (Hash Message Authentication Code 512). This feature essentially uses a strong cryptographic algorithm to confirm connections. With more than 30,000 IP addresses linked to over 3,000 servers deployed in 160 locations, you can anonymously unblock any geo-blocked website of your choice, knowing full well that your identity will not be compromised. Other features of ExpressVPN are listed below.
Supported Client Software:
- It has 3000 servers scattered around 160 locations
- It can only support 5 devices to connect at the same time
- This has an Internet kill switch
- It supports many protocols
- It runs on all operating systems, such as Windows, Android, iOS, Linux, etc.
- It guarantees users’ anonymity
- The client helpdesk is always ready to support users
- There is a wide range of payment options, including the use of Bitcoin
- ExpressVPN has no limited bandwidth
- It is good for streaming and torrenting
- Users who are displeased with this service get a refund in one month
- It doesn’t come with an ad blocker
- The monthly payment plan for this product is a bit higher
Although a user does not take its limitations seriously, it is important that any user who wishes to subscribe to it opts for the annual payment plan. Most importantly, the global cryptocurrency community is taken into consideration, as they can order this technology product and make payments in Bitcoin. According to our test, this is a good product.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
Facts About Anonymous VPN Service
Here are some facts you should keep in mind:
- No-log policy: Most private VPNs claim to have a no-logs policy. This mainly means that the manufacturer does not keep details of user logins. This is an important point to watch when you want to get VPN software. In reality, it means that your online activities cannot be monitored by local authorities, third party companies or cybercriminals. The fact is that you cannot completely exclude the possibility that a VPN service provider’s server may be hacked, leaving the details of user connections in the wrong hands.
- Sharing IP address: Many VPN servers гыу a shared IP address. This simply means that many Internet users will use a set of IP addresses at the same time. The advantage of this initiative is that in the field of cybersecurity if someone tries to track an Internet user, it becomes difficult to know what that person is actually doing online. In other words, when your intellectual property is shared with others, a third party company that monitors your online activities, for example, will not find it easy. On the other hand, there is dedicated intellectual property – that is, it is assigned to a person or group of people. But the disadvantage of a dedicated IP is that tracking users is as easy as ABC.
- Anonymous payment option: VPN is certainly a matter of maintaining anonymity. The best way to get the most out of an anonymous VPN service is to be careful not to give too much personal information to the service provider. Most of the time people use fake names and pay in Bitcoin to do this. So it’s a good thing that these providers extend their payment options to Bitcoin. In the same vein, some providers are increasingly accepting payments by email, in order to preserve the anonymity of users. While these genuine efforts are aimed at protecting the identity of users, they are somewhat meaningless since the service provider has your IP address – a number that is unique to you. The service provider knows your device and your location from your IP address.
VPNs That Keep Logs
When a VPN has a “no log” policy, it is a signal that it seeks to reinforce subscriber confidence, reassuring its users that their interests are paramount. However, research shows that free VPNs often collect logs, indicating that they cannot be trusted. Here are some examples of VPNs that collect information about users:
- Hola VPN: It is an Israel-based P2P, VPN service that describes itself as a “free web and mobile application”. You can download its application, register and log in to the service to change the location for free. Founded in 2017, Hola is present worldwide. While you can choose the free version, Hola also has a paid version. Everything suggests that this VPN is harmful to its users and the Internet in general. Its vulnerabilities include DDoS attacks, the propensity for malware attacks and the logging of users’ online activities. In addition, it cannot unlock American Netflix and it shares your CPU bandwidth/time. That’s why we don’t recommend it because it doesn’t have the features, power and privacy of a commercial VPN.
- HideMyAss: Founded in 2005, HideMyAss is a London-based VPN company that provides cybersecurity services to many people around the world. A subsidiary of the cybersecurity software development company Avast, HideMyAss has recruited most of its employees from the independent Upwork site. Instead of hiring these employees on a full-time basis, the company still allowed them to continue working as freelancers. However, one of the workers started a similar VPN company, forcing the company to hire the rest full time. Later, British security agents asked the VPN company to provide them with information about Cordy Kretsinger, a cybersecurity researcher wanted by British authorities for hacking into Sony Pictures in 2012. HideMyAss, released the information, insisting that it did not encourage crime. This is a clear breach of trust and proof that HideMyAss keeps user logs.
- Hotspot Shield: If you need a VPN that honors its no-connect policy, we strongly advise you to avoid this VPN. Launched in 2005, it was operated until 2019 by AnchorFree Inc. Today it is firmly under the control of Pango. This VPN is very critical during the Arab Spring, a socio-economic uprising that swept through many countries in the Middle East. At the time, this VPN was used by demonstrators in Egypt, Libya and Tunisia to circumvent government censorship. Subscribers hailed the VPN until rumours spread that its management was selling its data to third party companies. Well, in August 2017, the Center for Democracy issued a press release, complaining to the Federal Trade Commission that Hotspot Shield was sharing user data with third-party companies in a manner that violated the FCT Act. As if that wasn’t enough, in February 2018, a cybersecurity researcher discovered that this VPN had a bug. Digging a little deeper, it turned out that it contained information about users, such as their location and the names of their Wi-Fi access points when they were connected.
- TouchVPN: According to many cybersecurity experts, TouchVPN is the worst VPN in the technology market. It has 25 servers in 25 countries around the world, and it’s a good thing it’s free to subscribe. As soon as you are connected to this VPN, you will notice that your network speed is very slow. You can go to the bank: This VPN saves your information. Then it will sell it to third party companies for a fee. This is the price you pay to subscribe to a product you don’t have to pay anything for. If a VPN company does this, it means it’s a no-go area! However, the good thing is that this VPN is honest about registering your information, unlike those who lie about it.
- Betternet: This VPN offers both free and paid services. You see, there is no problem if you assume that this service is a proxy because that’s how it acts. To be fair, this VPN has 256-bit encryption technology and the OpenVPN protocol, which suggests that it is a true VPN service. In addition, it is compatible with all common operating systems. Yes, it’s 100% free – you don’t have to pay a subscription fee. Sounds good, doesn’t it? However, it leaves a lot to be desired. Although it claims to take its “no log” policy seriously, you will only be able to take advantage of it if you use the paid version. So it is a security threat as anonymity is important to you. However, when you use the free version, you see tons of annoying ads, and it is usually slow. Therefore, we do not recommend this VPN.
Overall Conclusion About Best Anonymous VPNs
While the idea of user anonymity is quickly becoming an industry standard, some VPN service providers have not yet embraced this idea. For those that already do, it is a marketing strategy they have employed to gain a competitive advantage over others. That said, you already know that VPN is important for a number of reasons.
To maximize your anonymity, we recommend that you always use the Tor browser to surf the Internet. Unfortunately, the browser would do a poor job for data-intensive activities such as torrenting, gaming, and streaming.
Here’s our honest advice: it’s high time you stopped looking for the best anonymous VPN because we’ve done all the work for you. All you have to do is make a choice from the list of VPNs we’ve reviewed. To do so, you need to understand their characteristics, their merits and their drawbacks. Most importantly, if you have a limited budget or are a beginner, you know which VPN is best for you. So choose a best anonymous VPN now and enjoy all the good things it has to offer.