Best VPN for Router
5 Best VPN for DD-WRT Routers – Secure Your Data with a VPN
If you are a network engineer, you must have configured, installed and used many routers as part of your work or IT projects. This is especially because routers are very critical in the network environment. As an intelligent device, routers intelligently send data packets to the appropriate destinations, thus avoiding blockages. One of the routers that become very useful in the computer world is DD-WRT.
A product of the Linux software giant, DD-WRT is firmware designed for broadband routers. Although it is open source firmware, originally intended for a particular gateway, it now works on a wide range of models, including third-party devices. Created by software developer Sebastian Gottschall, DD-WRT has many industry-standard features.
Use of VPN and DD-WRT
To help you better understand this, you should configure the DD-WRT on your router to work with Virtual Private Networks (VPN), as many routers are equipped with firmware that does not support VPN services. DD-WRT is therefore not only one of the firmware programs that can do this for you, but it is also the most popular technical product on the market.
However, some router manufacturing companies sell pre-programmed routers. In this case, you would not need to install it again. On the other hand, when the software is not readily available and the firmware that comes with your router does not support VPN, it is best to install firmware that does, i.e. DD-WRT.
Since the firmware does not work on your newly purchased router, you will need to install it yourself. When you’re done, you can connect as many devices as you like, including devices that do not support VPN by default. When we talk about devices that don’t support VPN, we’re talking about game consoles, such as the Xbox and PlayStation, as well as streaming devices such as the Amazon Fire Stick, Apple TV, Roku, and so on.
So you can connect your router to the VPN and have other devices that are not supported by the VPN connected to the VPN to improve your online security. A router is a gateway between computers and other connected devices.
5 Best VPN for DD-WRT Router – Comparison Table
Top 5 VPNs for DD-WRT Routers
5. VyprVPN – Great Service for DD-WRT Routers
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
VyprVPN is another good old add-on known to help routers stay safe and anonymous, especially the DD-WRT router. Maybe you don’t like the VPNs we’ve been talking about so far, why not try VyprVPN? It also has 700 high-speed servers deployed in 70 locations worldwide. With this amazing network of servers, DD-WRT router engineers can use any intelligent device to bypass the geo-blocked sites of their choice.
In addition, to gain user confidence, VyprVPN does not outsource its servers to third party companies. Indeed, this VPN can bypass US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Amazon Fire TV and many others. We will not fail to mention that VyprVPN has a very important Chameleon protocol, a feature that plays an essential role in bypassing georeferenced sites.
Supported Client Software:
- NAT firewall is installed
- Apart from being good for routing packets, it is super good for torrenting, streaming, etc.
- Its user interfaces are good
- It is safe and secure
- This add-on is superfast for DD-WRT routing
- It has its own data center, making it more efficient
- To step up its security, this service offers both proprietary and normal encryptions
- This service runs on a wide array of operating systems
- It is reputed for its no-logs DNS
- Going by monthly subscription, this VPN is a bit pricey
Over time, VyprVPN has proven to be one of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers, as the team was able to integrate some innovative features into the service. Since there are no pre-configured DD-WRT routers, VyprVPN has a manual that provides step-by-step instructions on how to configure OpenVPN and PPTP on your router.
As you already know, seeing a VPN service slow down your network speed can be a frustrating experience. You’ll rarely notice the difference in speed before and after the connection, thanks to unlimited bandwidth, split tunneling and other relevant features. Most importantly, it features military-grade 256-bit encryption, a no log-in policy, DNS leakage protection, an Internet kill switch, and many other security features. Undoubtedly, all of these benefits explain why VyprVPN is one of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers.
Read our detailed review of VyprVPN.
4. CyberGhost – User-Friendly Router VPN
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
CyberGhost deserves a place on this list because the VPN has made a concerted effort to carve out a place for itself in the cybersecurity sector. For example, the VPN has deployed over 5,700 high-speed servers in 112 locations worldwide, making it one of the high-end VPN providers with an extensive network of servers. The part you will certainly find interesting is that this VPN has a tutorial for configuring the DD-WRT, which makes connecting the VPN to the DD-WRT router super easy. Once the firmware is installed on your router, you can continue to connect your many devices to your router.
Since CyberGhost offers you unlimited bandwidth, you can connect as many devices as you want to the DD-WRT router without slowing down your network. It goes without saying that CyberGhost has split tunneling capabilities, which also contributes to its ultra-fast speed. There are essential security features that make it almost impossible for a hacker to intercept and decrypt the content of your traffic. First of all, 256-bit AES encryption ensures that your data is encrypted in such a way that your ISP, hackers and the draconian government will not be able to understand what you are actually doing online.
Supported Client Software:
- It is compatible with DD-WRT router
- The connection strength is good
- There is a Wi-Fi connection
- It allows up to 7 devices to connect at the same time
- There is a 24/7 customer service willing to tackle users’ challenges
- It is easy to use and very reliable
- The connection speed is awesome
- It offers a 45-day refund
- Given that the speed is commendable, it is perfect for streaming
- This VPN logs the users’ connection, but not their details
You have seen CyberGhost’s efforts to reposition itself as one of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers. At CyberGhost, security is a watchword. In addition to enterprise-grade encryption, the VPN service also features DNS leakage protection, IPv6 leakage protection and an Internet shutdown switch. All of these measures are in place to ensure that your security remains paramount. Note that it is not enough for a VPN to have super encryption without a no-log policy. That’s why CyberGhost has implemented all these industry best practices. Thus, it ensures that its subscribers who use DD-WRT routers get value for their money.
As icing on the cake, this VPN does not compromise your logs for anything in the world since it is the first VPN provider to request an independent audit of its operations. But that’s not all: Other interesting features you can enjoy with your DD-WRT router are trace prevention and data compression. Don’t forget that CyberGhost has a 24/7 customer service department. The team answers in 4 different languages: English, French, German and Romanian. If all these comforting features don’t put CyberGhost on the list of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers, then what happens?
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
3. IPVanish – Budget VPN for DD-WRT Routers
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
IPVanish has a prominent place in this list of the best VPNs for DD-WRT. IPVanish has made its way to the top, making it one of the best in the industry. As DD-WRT’s router engineer, one of the benefits of IPVanish is that it manages its vast network of servers. He also has a directory for OpenVPN config. Once you have entered all the necessary scripts, you will be able to run DD-WRT transparently on your router. At this point, you can connect a large number of Internet-enabled devices. This is undoubtedly one of the great advances made by this VPN company to make the user experience worthwhile. Thanks to their customer service that is always available, you will have no trouble configuring your router.
Just contact the team via email or live chat. Just before you say “Jack Robinson”, you’ll get an answer. Generally, live chats get faster responses than emails. So you need to keep that in mind. If you are a BitTorrent fan, you can enjoy P2P file sharing from anywhere in the world, because IPVanish has no less than 1500 fast servers hosted in over 75 locations. While you’re at it, you don’t have to worry about getting caught, as there are no-log policy, 256-bit encryption technology and DNS leakage protection. With IPVanish, there are many good things for all Internet users who use VPNs for DD-WRT routers.
Supported Client Software:
- It has 1500 servers for VPN scattered over 75 locations
- It keeps no logs
- This add-on allows unlimited devices to connect at the same time
- This service offers top-notch 256-bit connection
- It can be applied for other purposes, such as streaming
- It supports a wide range of protocols, such as OpenVPN, IKEv2, etc.
- There is a 24/7 helpdesk team
- This VPN runs on many different operating systems
- Switching between servers remains unlimited
- Timestamps the connection of some users
This DD-WRT VPN gives you value for money. No wonder people who use a flashing router have fallen in love with it. Since it has 256-bit encryption, users don’t have to worry about data security, because its encryption level is excellent.
We should mention, however, that this service was once controversial, as it provided the US authorities with information used to track down a much-feared criminal. This happened in the past and today dozens of people still subscribe to it every day. You should take a look at it yourself!
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
2. NordVPN – Secured VPN for DD-WRT Routers
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Just like the other top VPNs for DD-WRT routers on this list, NordVPN also has a detailed manual for configuring the DD-WRT firmware. So you don’t have to think long and hard to get there. One of the factors that made NordVPN the leader in the VPN industry is the progress it has made in security. Based in Panama, NordVPN has a feature called Double VPN, which allows your traffic to be encrypted twice. Of course, this is better than what other VPN companies offer, as it adds a layer of security.
With 5,100 super-fast servers in 60 locations worldwide, you can effortlessly bypass Internet filters with any device connected to your DD-WRT router. The best part is that you can unblock the geo-blocked sites of your choice in a fraction of a second. In addition, you can easily install the DD-WRT router on the network, switch servers and easily configure split tunneling. All this and much more explains why NordVPN has earned its place in the list of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers.
Supported Client Software:
- It has built-in features which make it works perfectly with the router
- There are important functionalities, such as kill switch, stealth mode, etc.
- It comes with a double encryption
- There is a no-log policy, which gives users huge relief
- This service has a vibrant helpdesk team
- It is super for privacy and security
- Its connection speed is very superb
- It offers a one-month refund upon failure
- Its monthly renewal fee is a bit pricey
Indeed, there is no doubt at all that this VPN for router gives users a lot value. For instance, a double encryption service makes a cut above the rest. And then, people who may want to use it for torrenting are in for a wonderful fray as this tech product is well-known for that.
In addition, NordVPN has another key security feature called Onion over VPN, which means that Internet traffic passes through the provider’s server, as well as through the Onion network before reaching you. Lest we forget, the customer care agents give users an unforgettable experience. Yes, it has our go-ahead.
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
1. ExpressVPN – All-Round VPN for DD-WRT Routers
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
We have added ExpressVPN to our selection because it has some of the fascinating features you can expect from your ideal DD-WRT router. Over the years, this VPN service has earned a reputation as a leader in Internet censorship. With more than 30,000 IP addresses in over 3,000 servers deployed in 160 locations, ExpressVPN has become one of the most sought after VPNs for unblocking geographically restricted sites. You can connect your device to your DD-WRT router and start unlocking tons of streaming sites of your choice.
For example, you can bypass the firewalls of US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Hobo, Fire TV, Amazon Fire TV, etc. You will do all this in the comfort of your home or office using any device connected to your DD-WRT router. Interestingly, you can connect up to 5 devices to your DD-WRT router and start enjoying your streaming services. Guess what? You can also enjoy file sharing using the P2P protocol known as BitTorrent. Yes, this VPN compatible with the DD-WRT router allows you to make torrent without worrying that authorities or content production companies will take legal action against you.
Supported Client Software:
- Apart from DD-WRT, it also supports the Tomato Router
- This service allows the simultaneous connection of 5 devices
- With 3000+ servers, it effectively covers 94 countries and 160 locations all over the world
- It has a kill switch and a strong no-log policy
- With live chat, it offers excellent helpdesk support
- The connection is extremely fast
- It runs on a wide array of operating systems
- The add-on keeps stats that doesn’t have anything to do with its user
- The installation guide is crystal clear
- This tech product is a bit pricey
At this point, you have seen the features, advantages and disadvantages of ExpressVPN. Make no mistake, we recommend ExpressVPN for DD-WRT routers because it has some amazing features that you would always look for in your ideal router. You will certainly appreciate the fact that you don’t have to worry about your security when using this VPN. With this VPN, you have DNS leakage protection and an Internet kill switch configured on your DD-WRT router. To keep your traffic hidden from prying eyes, this VPN features 256-bit AES encryption technology that works seamlessly with your DD-WRT routers. In other words, you can live in a draconian jurisdiction while streaming, torrent as much as you want and stay in touch with your loved ones on social media.
Don’t forget that you can get pre-configured routers that are compatible with ExpressVPN in today’s market. In this case, you don’t need to run the DD-WRT configuration again. ExpressVPN runs on iOS, Android, Windows, MacOS and Linux operating systems, which means that you can connect devices running on these operating systems to your DD-WRT router and enjoy your highly encrypted Internet interaction. This is undoubtedly one of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
Important Hints About VPN for DD-WRT Routers
As mentioned earlier, some routers do not support DD-WRT firmware. Therefore, you should do some research to find out which roofers support it. Similarly, you should be wary of obsolete versions of DD-WRT routers that do not support OpenVPN. This will be a big challenge. However, you will need about 8 MB of flash memory for everything to work perfectly.
From the above, one of the obvious advantages of running all your smart devices via a DD-WRT router is that you can connect more devices to the network. However, you may run into network slowness if the VPN provider does not have the capacity to support a large number of devices connected through the DD-WRT router. Yes, there will be congestion.
There are a few DD-WRT routers that support the PPTP VPN protocol. However, we strongly advise you not to go ahead with this venture as it has security vulnerabilities. You might be tempted to use the VPN protocol for your DD-WRT, as it is very easy to set up and fast too. But then, the vulnerability comes from the fact that the VPN protocol is obsolete.
When the software giant Microsoft developed and implemented it in 1995, it was the best at the time. In 1998, a bug was discovered in the VPN protocol. In 2012, more and more drawbacks were discovered, including the possibility that its encryption could be compromised with advanced computing tools.
Choosing the Best VPN for DD-WRT Router
There are some factors you should pay attention to before deciding on the best addition for your router. Of all the factors, the most important is compatibility. We can summarize this below:
- Compatibility: The first factor to consider before choosing the best VPN for DD-WRT routers is compatibility. Indeed, you should know that compatibility is very important. If the VPN is not compatible with the DD-WRT router, you cannot configure your VPN application on the DD-WRT router.
- Vast distribution of networks: When a VPN has a large network of servers, it means that you will certainly appreciate it. Here’s why: It will be able to bypass many geo-restricted sites around the world. For example, a VPN service that does not have powerful servers in the US cannot bypass US Netflix. Similarly, if it does not have a top-notch server in the UK, it will not be able to bypass the BBC iPlayer. Therefore, the servers must be strategically located around the world to be able to bypass these sites.
- Speed: Often, when a VPN service has a wide distribution of server networks, it will have good speed. That’s simply because its servers won’t be constantly overwhelmed by requests. Other factors that affect speed are “split tunneling” and unlimited bandwidth.
- Price: You must have known for a long time that money is important. The fact is that you tend to get more value when you pay more. The VPN industry is no exception. Yes, most high-end VPNs are expensive, and you might be tempted to settle for the much cheaper ones if you have a limited budget. However, you need to consider all of the factors we’ve listed so far before you consider the price.
- User-friendliness: The client of a user-friendly DD-WRT router is not necessarily easy to configure. But if it is, it’s a plus. However, the VPN company should ensure that there is a clear, step-by-step guide for firmware configuration. That way, it can work on the router.
Free VPNs for DD-WRT Routers
You may be wondering if you can use free VPNs for DD-WRT routers. The answer is simply NO! Make no mistake, having such VPNs is a total waste of your precious time, as most of them are not compatible with OpenVPN. If your free VPN is not compatible with this VPN protocol, it simply means that you cannot configure any VPN application on your router. So you should always keep this in mind.
In addition, some VPNs are known to sell user information to third party companies. While some of them clearly state that they collect user data, they do not mention that this data is sold to the highest bidder. That’s terrible!
In addition, they do not offer good security. If you don’t get tamper-proof security from your VPN provider, then the purpose of having a VPN is defeated. Some of them inject ads into your browser just to promote one product or another.
From the above, you don’t need a free VPN, as you will realize that using free VPNs for DD-WRT routers is a total waste of time. On the other hand, you should opt for paid VPNs as they have deployed some of the best VPN technologies just to make sure you really get value for your money.
How to Install a VPN on DD-WRT Router?
To run your preferred VPN on a DD-WRT router, you need to follow the step-by-step instructions below:
- Log in to your router’s administration page from your computer. To do this, you must enter the IP address of your router in the address bar. You can locate the IP address of your router on its back.
- The next step is to log in to your account. Then you will go to the Admin section.
- At this point, you will click on “Firmware Upgrade”, then you will need to select the DD-WRT file you wish to download to your router.
- This is the last action, as you will only have to wait for the DD-WRT to update itself automatically. Note that this process is known as “flashing” and takes a few minutes.
When complete, this means that the router has been configured to work with the DD-WRT firmware. You can change the settings at your convenience. Finally, you can install the VPN application on your router.
Next, you will need to configure a VPN protocol on your DD-WRT router. Note that the VPN protocol must be running on your DD-WRT router for it to work properly. It is strongly recommended to use the OpenVPN protocol.
The advantage is that the OpenVPN configuration process is similar to the VPN configuration process on DD-WRT routers. Yes, it is fast and easy, so you don’t need to be a technician to do it. But if you find the installation difficult, you should contact a network specialist to help you.
So far, we have taken the time to give a thorough explanation of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers and why they stand out. Let’s be clear about one thing: it’s common to see VPN developers making a lot of promises, saying that their products can do a lot of amazing things.
However, when you put them to the test, they fail miserably. That being said, we strongly advise you to make a choice from the list of the best VPNs for DD-WRT routers, because we have checked everything for you. Do it today!