Best VPN for Netherlands
5 Best VPNs for the Netherlands – Secure Connection with a Dutch VPN
Network neutrality is a principle that states that Internet Service Providers (ISPs) must be fair to all websites, regardless of their content. In other words, the theory requires that ISPs do not slow down, speed up or block a website because of special interests. That said, the Netherlands is an important European country because it attracts many companies. From IT giants to key players in the oil and gas sector, from investment incubators to manufacturing companies, all these companies need data centers for real-time information dissemination and sharing of Internet resources.
Although the country has become a breeding ground for many companies, the Netherlands has a strict privacy law. In other words, as the European country continues to attract large companies, software development companies are scrambling to host their VPN servers here.
What’s the VPN Server for?
Perhaps you didn’t know, VPN means virtual private network. It is a piece of software that enables users to circumvent certain geoblocked sites when they are running on the system. So, the software or app enables users in the Netherlands to enjoy torrent and streaming sites with mind-blowing speed. Are you a Dutchman? Admitted, the local authorities and internet service providers (ISPs) are not tracking your activities, but you need a VPN to increase the speed of your internet connection and maintain the anonymity of your connection.
Plus, when you are connected to the VPN servers of premium service providers, they have servers that are superfast, ensuring that your internet speed remains superb. But then, you should be worried because there are a plethora of fake VPNs out there. However, this guide will help you get the best VPN for Netherlands.
What’s the VPN Server Used for?
You may not know it, VPN stands for a virtual private network. It’s a software program that allows users to bypass certain geo-blocked sites while running on the system. For example, the software or application allows users in the Netherlands to enjoy torrents and streaming sites at breathtaking speed. Are you Dutch? Local authorities and Internet Service Providers (ISPs) may not monitor your activities, but you need a VPN to increase the speed of your Internet connection and keep your connection anonymous.
In addition, when you are connected to the VPN servers of premium ISPs, they have ultra-fast servers, which ensures that your Internet connection speed remains excellent. But you should be concerned, as there are a plethora of fake VPNs out there. However, this guide will help you get the best VPN for the Netherlands.
5 Best Netherlands VPN – Comparison Table
Top 5 Best VPN for Netherlands
5. IPVanish – Great Streaming Dutch VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
IPVanish is a VPN for the Netherlands that is respected by many users in the industry. It allows you to bypass your favorite geo-blocked sites in no time at all. It also guarantees your security with 256-bit encryption technology, DNS leakage protection, emergency kill switch and no-logs policy. These measures are critical in helping users stay safe while they engage in torrents around the country. Remember that local authorities always take enforcement action against Internet users who share files via BitTorrent in the Netherlands. Yes, it is illegal to torrent copyrighted material without permission in the European country.
In addition, to guarantee you exceptional torrents, streaming and browsing experience, IPVanish has ultra-fast servers in the country. These servers are fully optimized for speed – thanks to a split tunneling and unlimited bandwidth. Another feature that has made IPVanish famous is its 24/7 technical support. This smart team works tirelessly to ensure that you have no difficulties connecting to the service. There are other great features that have made IPVanish stand out in many ways. Here are a few of them.
Supported Client Software:
- It has 1,500 servers for VPN scattered over 75 locations, including 87 servers in the Netherlands
- There is a SOCKS5 Web proxy
- It has no traffic log policy
- There is an Internet kill switch
- Allows unlimited devices to connect at the same time
- There are more than 40,000 dedicated and shared IPs available to users
- IPVanish is perfect for unlocking and streaming geo-restricted sites, such Netflix and Hulu
- It delivers superfast streams in HD formats
- There is a helpdesk team that resolves users’ issues via live chats
- It runs on Windows, Linux, MacOS, iOS and Android
- It supports a lot of VPN protocols, such as PPTP, L2TP and OpenVPN
- No trial version
When it comes to support for Android-based Kodi devices, IPVanish stands above the rest of the VPN products on this list. With 87 servers running from Amsterdam, there is no doubt that this VPN service provider offers the best value for money to the Dutch and visitors from the Netherlands. Another advantage is the absence of traffic and connection logs, which means that all users remain anonymous.
Yes, IPVanish is present in 75 locations worldwide with 1,500 servers, which is really cool. But don’t forget that there is no live chat, which is a big flop. In any case, it deserves our passing grade.
Read our detailed review of IPVanish.
4. PrivateVPN – Multi-Featured VPN for Netherlands
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
If you are travelling to Amsterdam or Rotterdam on business or holiday, you are sure to have a great time. However, one thing is for sure: you won’t see your favorite shows on US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hobo, Fire TV, etc. But PrivateVPN offers you the rare opportunity to unlock these paid services from your new home. Thanks to its vast network of ultra-fast servers, you can be sure to bypass these servers in the blink of an eye. Note that this VPN for the Netherlands has 2 high-speed servers in Amsterdam. That being said, PrivateVPN has an advantage over other high-end VPNs because it is very economical. This means more savings for you. It has other interesting features that make this VPN one of the most sought-after VPNs in the Netherlands.
For example, with an optimally functioning NAT firewall, intact DNS leakage protection and a strictly enforced non-registration policy, you won’t have to worry about local authorities spying on you when bypassing local and foreign streaming sites. By giving you the power to choose between 128-bit or 256-bit encryption technologies, IPVanish reassures you that your privacy and security remain paramount. In addition, you can stream geo-blocked sites without any buffering.
Supported Client Software:
- Compatible with Windows, MacOS, iOS, Android, and Linux
- It has both 128-bit and 256-bit options for encryption
- PrivateVPN supports OpenVPN, IPSec, PPTP, and L2TP
- Unlimited bandwidth and port forward
- There is a server switching and NAT firewall is enabled
- Supports anonymous torrenting
- PrivateVPN does not keep logs
- Mirroring its name, PrivateVPN offers top-notch security and anonymity
- Its speed is relatively optimal
- This VPN allows 6 devices to connect at the same time
- Sure, this app can also unblock other streaming sites like Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Does not block ads and malware
To have gotten to this point, you’ve seen the main features of PrivateVPN. However, we must not fail to mention its 24/7 customer service. When you have some connection problems, you should contact them via live chat or e-mail. By reporting your connection problems to the team, you can be sure that they will be resolved as quickly as possible. Indeed, the helpdesk does a great job of making the VPN service worthwhile. What’s more, this VPN for the Netherlands is easy to use. To get started, just follow the three-step installation process: Downloading the application, connecting to the network and unlocking geo-restricted sites.
Then you will start following your favorite US and UK broadcasts on US Netflix and BBC iPlayer respectively in the remote Netherlands. Do you use Linux, iOS, Android or iOS? Actually, it doesn’t matter which platform or device you use, because this Dutch VPN works on all of them. It’s even so attractive that it allows up to 6 connections at the same time, which means your family or colleagues can enjoy the whole thing with you. All this explains why PrivateVPN is one of the best VPNs for the Netherlands.
Read our detailed review of PrivateVPN.
3. NordVPN – Secure and Anonymous Option for the Netherlands
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Well, this Dutch VPN leverages the latest technologies in the industry to offer one of the best cybersecurity features on the current landscape. To be clear, NordVPN is able to encrypt data twice. Moreover, it allows 6 devices to connect at the same time. Based in Panama, NordVPN has 276 servers in the Netherlands. In general, it has 5,100 servers deployed in 60 locations worldwide. With NordVPN it is extremely easy to unlock sites in the Netherlands such as Netflix, Hulu and BBC iPlayer.
Supported Client Software:
- It supports torrenting and P2P activity
- No logs
- This Dutch VPN supports many VPN protocols
- There is a kill switch
- Over 5,100 servers in 60+ locations, including 276 servers in the Netherlands
- It is compatible with NordVPN, MacOS, Windows, Android, and Linux
- The connection speed is superb
- It has VPN protocol supports for OpenVPN and IKEv2
- Its 24/7 helpdesk tackles customers’ issues via live chats
- 6 devices can connect at the same time
- It’s a little bit costly
Another advantage you can’t get from this Dutch VPN is that it has many advanced features. With these extras, you can customize the service to your liking. These extras include DoubleVPN, ad blocking, anti-DDoS, dedicated IP, darkened servers, etc. Apart from that, there are other benefits that we should note here.
With a server of about 5100+, NordVPN remains the largest VPN service provider on the market. There is no doubt that every VPN service provider that targets Dutch users offers unique services, and NordVPN has outstanding features. For these and many other reasons, it lives up to expectations!
Read our detailed review of NordVPN.
2. ExpressVPN – Fast VPN for Netherlands
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Do you need a full-service Dutch VPN? If so, ExpressVPN is the right VPN product that sets you apart from the rest to a large extent. With 3,000 servers worldwide, this VPN service provider based in the British Virgin Islands provides transport to all Dutch cities.
In other words, there are ExpressVPN servers in the country. Cities hosting its servers include The Hague, Amsterdam and Rotterdam. Thanks to this distribution of servers throughout the country, ExpressVPN can effortlessly access Netflix, BBC iPlayer and Hulu.
Supported Client Software:
- ExpressVPN has no fewer than 3,000 servers in more than 160 locations
- There is support for OpenVPN protocol
- It has no logs
- It allows 5 devices to connect at same time
- There is a DNS/IPV6 leak protection
- There is a 256-bit encryption
- 30,000 IP addresses are readily available
- The helpdesk team assists users via live chats
- Its connection is superfast and reliable
- Users can use it for torrenting
- Compatible with Windows, MacOS, Linux, Android, and iOS
- It allows users to unblock streaming sites, such as Netflix and BBC iPlayer
- Its monthly subscription fee is high
It is obvious that you don’t have to look very far to see all the benefits this VPN product has to offer to its Dutch users. In addition to all the above mentioned advantages there is an Internet kill switch. And that’s not all. To guarantee user anonymity, it has 256-bit encryption and allows potential users to pay in Bitcoin.
Well, ExpressVPN supports all major VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, IKEv2 and PPTP. Also, the fact that its monthly subscription is high is something we can’t emphasize. Beyond these two flaws, ExpressVPN is a great product, so you should try it!
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
1. CyberGhost – User-Friendly Netherlands VPN
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
Are you still looking for the best VPN for the Netherlands? Well, you should pay attention to CyberGhost. Wondering why? This VPN also guarantees anonymity, privacy and security for the users. All these benefits are possible because it has 256-bit encryption, which is one of the best encryption technologies in the industry. Guess what? CyberGhost has 195 servers in the Netherlands! Isn’t that incredible? Well, it has even more advantages.
Supported Client Software:
- CyberGhost allows 7 devices to connect at the same time
- There is a Wi-Fi Protection
- There’s a standard 256-bit encryption
- An Internet kill switch is readily available
- It has a DNS leak protection
- CyberGhost VPN is exciting for torrenting because it is fast
- It is good for unlocking geo-blocked streaming sites, like Netflix, Fire Stick, and BBC iPlayer
- The 24/7 customer service effectively tackles users’ challenges
- Compatible with Linux, MacOS, iOS, Windows and Androids
- It is a user-friendly software
- Sometimes, the connection is a bit sluggish
- Monthly subscription is pricey
Here is an overview that will interest you. CyberGhost has nearly 5,700 servers worldwide. Clearly, CyberGhost has made a concerted effort to prioritize the Netherlands. Moreover, it has a large server coverage and a no-logs policy, and the performance is excellent. Just before concluding, please note that just because it is more affordable than ExpressVPN does not make it cheap. In any case, we recommend it.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
Choosing the Right VPN for the Netherlands
There are some factors you need to consider before choosing the right VPN for the Netherlands. In this section, we will discuss them in detail.
- Terms of service: Just before you decide on a particular VPN, it is essential to know all the necessary product details. By doing so, you will understand the terms of service. You will learn more about its refund policy, trial period, discount, etc. Note that VPNs have different terms of service and this information is important for an informed decision.
- Connection speed: You don’t want to experience a slow connection when surfing the Internet, do you? Speed also affects your streaming services because the site keeps a buffer. Without a doubt, nothing can be more annoying than that. Turning to torrenting, it will probably take you forever to download large files if your VPN speed is low. Often, VPNs slow down your Internet connection. It is therefore important that you choose a VPN with ultra-fast servers. Other features that affect speed include split tunneling and unlimited bandwidth. So pay attention to this before you opt for a VPN for the Netherlands.
- Check out online reviews: For all the products you buy online these days, you see a lot of people reviewing them. The Dutch VPN is no different, as you’ll see cybersecurity experts, bloggers and ordinary users evaluating its performance. It is therefore essential to get the views of these stakeholders before making a final decision.
- The network of servers: The fact is that the importance of a VPN with many servers cannot be overestimated. Here’s the problem: when your VPN has many servers, it will be able to bypass a large number of geo-blocked sites scattered across the Internet. Also, if you are browsing from a VPN server close to your real location, you will certainly have a better browsing experience. While other factors may affect your connection speed, a large network of servers helps improve its speed and unlocking capabilities.
- Security: Well, most people use a VPN for the Netherlands for security reasons. In other words, if your provider cannot guarantee confidentiality and anonymity, your security is already compromised. To be at the top in this context, you have to pay attention to certain features. These include the “no logs” policy, DNS leakage protection, Internet “kill switch” and 256 or 2048 bit encryption technology. If your VPN has all these features, you have absolutely no reason to worry about security.
- Customer support: If a VPN for the Netherlands does not have a 24/7 customer support service, you have nothing to do with this VPN. Of course, you need the team because you might encounter technical problems. Therefore, you will need their help. Today, most VPN customer service teams are contacted via live chat and email. So you need to keep this in mind.
Why You May Need a VPN in the Netherlands?
Just as the Netherlands does not have draconian laws on the internet as elsewhere in the world, there are some reasons why you will need a VPN in the country. We will introduce them to you.
- Unblocking streaming sites: If you visit Amsterdam or any other city in the Netherlands, you will certainly need a VPN for the Netherlands to follow your favorite shows on the main streaming sites like US Netflix, Hobo, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Stick, etc. Please note that once you leave your home country, for example the US or the UK, you will not be able to access any of these streaming services. You will therefore need a VPN for the Netherlands to unblock them before you can access their online content.
- Torrenting: The torrent has become controversial around the world because the international community is sharing copyrighted material without obtaining the necessary permissions. As a result, the owners of these materials, Internet service providers and the government are still looking for these users in the hope of taking legal action against them. The Netherlands is no exception, as the government does not rest on its laurels in trying to bring these offenders to their knees. You will therefore need a VPN so that the Netherlands can share files over the BitTorrent protocol.
- Safety from overbearing ISPs: Another reason why you should consider getting a VPN for the Netherlands is that you can avoid having your case handled by some dominant ISPs. This is because your ISP will know that you are using the VPN to surf the Internet, but they will not know what you are doing exactly. This is because your traffic will be encrypted and your IP address and location will be changed (upon request). As soon as you do this, your ISP will have trouble decrypting the message in your communication channel. As a result, it becomes almost impossible for your ISP or the Dutch government to identify the person behind your keyboard – thanks to the VPN for the Netherlands.
- Safety from cybercriminals: Cybercriminals around the world are known to use public Wi-Fi facilities to unsuspectingly seek out and endanger their victims. According to Statista.com, in 2017 about 19% of Dutch Internet users were victims of cyberattacks. Similarly, a report by DutchNews.nl revealed that 1.2 million Dutch people were affected by Internet-related crimes in 2018. With all these figures, it is clear that nobody is safe in the country.
Torrenting in the Netherlands
The Pirate Bay, an online index of entertainment content owned by Sweden, which allows users to share and download files using the BitTorrent protocol, was banned in the Netherlands in 2013. However, the ban was subsequently lifted. The ban was merely a means for the Dutch government to send a signal to clarify its position on the torrent. While the government could easily have turned a blind eye and allowed people to make the torrent, it is cracking down on torrents because they often share copyrighted material without the consent of their owners.
Today, the Netherlands is considered one of the countries where the torrent is closely monitored by local authorities. With the help of the Dutch anti-piracy group, the Netherlands has closed more than 230 privacy sites by 2017. In 2018, the government announced a new measure that will require offenders to pay a fine for violating intellectual property (IP) laws on the BitTorrent network.
In addition, the authorities have given Dutch FilmWorks, a major film distribution company based in Utrecht, the necessary legal support to track, collect and compile the IP addresses of those who abuse IP via the torrent. This explains why it has become essential for users to protect themselves using an effective VPN for the Netherlands, as discussed above.
Until now, you may be looking for a free Dutch VPN online. However, if you are a regular visitor to our site, you will notice that we are still opposed to free VPNs. The fact is that we should not give in on this point, as it is risky to use them. This is because they sell user data to different companies, including your competitors if you are an entrepreneur. As far as service delivery is concerned, free VPN service is not a topic of conversation. For most of them, the speed is simply horrible and the connection fluctuates in an annoying way.
In the future, you shouldn’t just get a VPN because you’re afraid your government will follow you. There have been cases where cybercriminals have attacked unsuspecting victims. Later, they would steal their financial information and use it against them. Because the Internet has no geographical boundaries, a stranger can attack you without your knowledge. For these reasons, it is advisable to equip yourself with a Dutch VPN from the list we have compiled for you. So stop looking for a free Dutch VPN and subscribe now!