Best VPN for Switzerland
5 Best VPNs for Switzerland – Keep Privacy with a VPN Service
You probably know that Switzerland enjoys a high level of online freedom. Indeed, the European country was ranked 5th in the 2018 World Press Freedom Index. From press freedom to Internet access, there is no doubt that the Swiss enjoy a certain level of freedom.
However, this does not mean that the country does not have problems with cybercrime. Since cybercriminals are always on the lookout for thieves, the country’s cyberspace has become relatively toxic.
To stay safe, one can easily use a VPN for Switzerland to protect oneself against the schemes of these online deviants. Do you live in this European country? If so, getting and connecting to a VPN for your country will hide your IP address and encrypt your traffic. In the end, you won’t have to worry about your cyber-attacks anymore.
Why Do You Need a VPN in Switzerland?
In addition to protection against the machinations of cybercriminals, there are other reasons why you need a Switzerland VPN. Well, we will look at the circumstances in this segment.
- Avert government spy: It is no longer known that the Federal Intelligence Service (FIS) has been given the power to monitor e-mail and Internet traffic of private individuals. The intelligence-gathering agency even has the legal authority to hack into individuals’ computers and install spyware. This will allow them to closely monitor what they are doing. On the whole, the country is not considered a jurisdiction with draconian Internet laws.
- Unlocking geo-blocked sites: If you wish to access the content of geo-restricted sites, you will certainly need the best VPN for Switzerland to achieve that. You will notice that the content delivered by the streaming giants varies from country to country. This is simply due to the agreements they have signed with the production companies and governments concerned. This means that if you want to watch geo-blocked US sites from your Swiss home, for example, you will need to equip yourself with a VPN service. In addition to the US sites, you will need this service to bypass other geo-blocked sites around the world.
5 Best Swiss VPNs – Comparison Table
Top 5 Best VPN for Switzerland
5. IvacyVPN – Reliable VPN for Switzerland
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
You are probably wondering why this Singapore-based VPN provider made this list. The truth is that you will sing a different tune when you see the benefits Ivacy provides to its Swiss users. Indeed, Ivacy leads the pack when it comes to VPN services that give ordinary Swiss people real value for their hard-earned money. Are you Swiss and not sure of the right VPN for people in your country? If yes, Ivacy gives you numerous benefits to show that it really cares about you.
For instance, it has 10 high-speed servers in Switzerland that you can connect to from the comfort of your home. If you are a big fan of Hollywood flicks, Ivacy brings American movies and TV shows to your doorstep by allowing you to access US Netflix without moving a meter out of your home. Well, there are many more advantages.
Supported Client Software:
- Military-grade AES-256 encryption and an internet kill switch
- Malware blocker and Wi-Fi protection
- Zero-logs policy and DNS leak protection
- Over 1000 servers hosted in over 100 locations including 10 in Switzerland
- Up to 10 simultaneous connections
- Torrenting support and unblocking Netflix
- Enjoy high-speed internet access at home with 10 Swiss servers
- Additional security, thanks to AES-256 encryption
- Can unblock foreign streaming sites (Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, etc.) from your home in Switzerland
- Wi-Fi protection and malware blocker that secure you from attacks by hackers
- No-logs policy that guarantees your personal information will not be compromised
- Offers user-friendly clients that run seamlessly on your operating system
- Has not been publicly audited
A close look at Ivacy VPN’s modus operandi reveals a company that strongly believes in offering a variety of excellent features to its customers. It even offers Swiss users a server that allows them to switch from one VPN protocol to another; you get to enjoy PPTP, L2TP, SSTP, and IKEv2. With any of these protocols, device-VPN connection remains extremely secure. Using this VPN is as easy as ABC because it involves a mere 3-stage process. Are you a big fan of SRG SSR just like the rest of the Swiss? If yes, you can use Ivacy to connect to the channel even when you are a million miles away from home.
Ivacy will assign you the right IP address that seamlessly gives you that home-sweet-home viewing experience. Besides, we must not fail to mention that this VPN won a top spot on this list because it has 10 servers in Switzerland. That is a lot! Lastly, its great features include the following: split tunneling, multiple VPN protocols, anonymous browsing, 10 simultaneous logins, etc. Yes, you should try Ivacy VPN in Switzerland today.
Read our detailed review of IvacyVPN.
4. PureVPN – Big Variety of Connections for Switzerland Users
Money-back guarantee: 31-day
This is a wise choice for anyone looking for affordable service with an excellent interface. Indeed, PureVPN is known to do a lot of amazing things as it has over 2000 servers in 180 locations worldwide. In addition, it has more than 30,000 IP addresses for its subscribers. In other words, you don’t have to worry about running out of IP addresses if geo-blocked sites restrict your IP address.
This is because you can easily and conveniently bypass geo-blocked sites from your home in Geneva or elsewhere. You can bypass Netflix, Hulu, HBO GO, BBC iPlayer and the list is endless. With this service, you don’t have to limit yourself to your home country, as it gives you everything you need to access the best content available in other countries. Are you a big fan of the torrent? If so, you have a VPN that helps you to be at the top of your torrent game. What’s more? Thanks to the ads and the virus blocker, you can be sure that the security of your device is unshakeable.
Supported Client Software:
- PureVPN has
- 30,000 readily available IP addresses
- There are 2000 servers scattered in 180 locations
- Torrenting and streaming support
- It has WebRTC leak protection and AES 256-bit encryption
- There are enough servers for unlocking many geo-blocked sites both at home and overseas
- There is torrenting support
- PureVPN has good privacy features (AES 256-bit encryption, changed its policy to stop keeping sensitive logs, DNS leak protection, Internet kill switch, etc.)
- It also has support for many VPN protocols
- This firm is based in Hong Kong, a city outside all the jurisdictions of international intelligence-sharing alliances
- Inconsistence with US Netflix unblocking capabilities
If you care about your privacy when you surf the web, you have absolutely nothing to worry about, because PureVPN cares about that too. That’s why it features 256-bit AES encryption technology that keeps your data safe. In addition, it has a good customer service team that works day in and day out to make sure your complaints are addressed. Feel free to contact them via email or live support, and the team will respond to your message at the drop of a hat. If you notice that you don’t have a good experience on a server, you can switch from that server to another. This is easy to do.
Of course, speed is a key element in this landscape, and PureVPN has done its part to ensure that it offers optimal speed – through a shared tunnel and unlimited bandwidth. In fact, split tunneling helps you determine what data you send over your VPN so that your ISP can’t crack it. Yes, it’s compatible with every common operating system you can think of, whether it’s Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS, and so on.
Read our detailed review of PureVPN.
3. PrivateVPN – Affordable Switzerland VPN
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
Although PrivateVPN is new, it deserves a place on your list because it is affordable and offers relatively commendable performance. Already, this VPN has 100 servers in strategic locations around the world, allowing you to bypass your favorite streaming sites in the blink of an eye. With PrivateVPN, you can unlock HD video streaming sites such as Netflix, Amazon TV, Hulu, and other international channels that interest you. Users appreciate this VPN because it is easy to use and has impressive unlocking capabilities.
With this service, you don’t have to worry that a hacker can follow you because he doesn’t even notice what you are doing online. What operating system do you use? Windows, iOS, Android, Linux or MacOS? Guess what, it doesn’t really matter because PrivateVPN works perfectly on all of them. You know what they say: “There’s love in sharing.” Yes, you can share it with family, friends and colleagues because PrivateVPN allows up to 6 simultaneous connections through one account.
Supported Client Software:
- Out of the 100 servers hosted in more than 150 locations, there are 2 in Zurich
- Supports OpenVPN, L2TP, IPsec, PPTP, and IKEv2
- 6 devices can connect at the same time
- Split tunneling and Internet kill switch
- There is port forwarding
- The interfaces are easy to understand and use
- When you establish a connection, you can circumvent geo-blocked sites in a matter of minutes
- The customer service works round the clock
- It helps to install the software remotely
- PrivateVPN has excellent security features
- Few servers to choose from
From the above, you have seen some of the critical measures this Switzerland VPN has taken to improve your online security and privacy. We’re going to introduce you to some key security details. It features the standard AES-256 encryption technology for increased anonymity. In addition, PrivateVPN has a customer service team made up of real software developers. The team works around the clock to ensure that your questions are answered, and your problems are resolved.
The application is fairly easy to install, which means you don’t have to be a technician to install and use it. This application also has essential features such as unlimited bandwidth and “split tunneling”, which allows you to take advantage of high-speed execution of the software. Since it is based in Sweden, you don’t have to worry that PrivateVPN will succumb to the pressure to disclose your logs to one of the international information sharing alliances. Finally, it supports OpenVPN, PPTP, IKEv2 and IPsec.
Read our detailed review of PrivateVPN.
2. ExpressVPN – Fast Option for Switzerland Users
Money-back guarantee: 30-day
This is one of our favorite services because it has fantastic features. Based in the British Virgin Islands, ExpressVPN is one of the premium services that has made its mark in the industry for its performance in pounds sterling. With a network of 3,000 high-speed servers in 160 locations worldwide, ExpressVPN allows you to bypass local and foreign geo-blocked sites. In other words, you can bypass US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, Hulu, Amazon Fire TV and more. So you can be at home in Switzerland and enjoy the fascinating content of these leading streaming sites. Since cybercrime is a problem in Switzerland and worldwide, ExpressVPN has done its homework in this regard.
First of all, it does not keep your logs and does not leak DNS information. In addition to its rigorously implemented “zero logging” policy, this service has AES-256-bit encryption. By deploying this encryption technology, you don’t have to worry about prying eyes poking into your online activities. But that’s not all. This VPN service also works with many VPN protocols, such as OpenVPN, PPTP, IKEv2, and more. In fact, you get all these benefits and more when you subscribe to ExpressVPN. We have summarized some of the fascinating features that have made it the best VPN for Switzerland.
Supported Client Software:
- It supports IKEv2, PPTP and OpenVPN
- This service has 3000 ultra-fast servers scattered in more than 160 locations with 2 of them in Switzerland
- There are automatic Internet kill switch and split tunneling
- Multiple logins of up to 5
- Optimal privacy powered by a AES-256 encryption
- With a vast network of servers (2 in Switzerland), you can bypass lots of geo-blocked sites both locally and overseas
- This service has a team of well-trained customer service that works round the clock to tackle customers’ issues
- Its DNS leak protection and Internet kill switch ensure that your real identity remains masked
- It is one of the fastest services out there
- ExpressVPN doesn’t keep your logs
- It is pricey
So far, you have seen some of the benefits of using this service. However, there are even more. Looking at them, despite its ease of installation and use, you may encounter some difficulties. In this case, you will need to contact customer service. In short, the team works 24 hours a day, 7 days a week and will answer your message through live chat or e-mail in a fraction of a second.
Well, this is one of the most effective VPNs for Switzerland as it provides you with an extra layer of security while allowing you to have a great time online. Don’t forget that cybercriminals are everywhere looking for unsuspecting people to attack. Do you want to have fun? If so, share it with your friends and family because ExpressVPN allows up to 5 multiple connections from the same account. Undoubtedly, all these advantages explain why we’ve added this VPN to the list for you.
Read our detailed review of ExpressVPN.
1. CyberGhost – User-Friendly VPN for Switzerland
Money-back guarantee: 45-day
CyberGhost is a VPN provider based in Romania with more than 5,700 servers in 112 locations worldwide. Among the vast network of servers, CyberGhost has optimized the speed of 70 servers in Switzerland. Thanks to this vast network of servers, you can bypass any georeferenced service anywhere in the world. Some of the streaming sites you can access include US Netflix, BBC iPlayer, HBO GO, Amazon Firestick, etc. Yes, you can enjoy them in the comfort of your Swiss home.
What’s more, in terms of speed, this service is not lagging behind, thanks to a shared tunnel and unlimited bandwidth. You will be interested to know that CyberGhost supports up to 7 connections at the same time. Yes, you can share it with your family and colleagues. Don’t forget that this premium service is compatible with all operating systems, such as Windows, Linux, MacOS, Android, iOS and Router.
Supported Client Software:
- It allows 7 multiple logins at the same time
- CyberGhost also uses a AES-256 bit encryption
- There are 5,700 servers in 112 locations and 70 in the Switzerland
- There are Internet kill switch and no-logs policy
- Split tunneling and unlimited bandwidth
- The vast network of servers allows you to easily bypass local Internet filters as well as explore the content of geo-restricted sites
- CyberGhost blocks malicious ads, spywares, sites and malware
- It has some of the top-notch security and encryption features that keep you safe
- Although it is not typically cheap, CyberGhost has a low-cost option for newbies
- Its customer service desk offers quick responses to complaints and queries
- The monthly plan is very expensive
- Not recommended for expert users
Because this Romanian-based company puts your safety first, they have some of the best security features built into their network. You see, it is designed to block malicious sites, advertisements, malware and trackers. Thanks to its “zero log” policy, you don’t have to worry about this VPN passing your logs to security guards. Guess what, that’s not all.
CyberGhost has a Wi-Fi protection mechanism, which means that cybercriminals lurking in public Wi-Fi areas looking for unsuspecting victims wouldn’t know what you’re really doing online. In other words, you don’t have to worry about a hacker taking over your bank account. In addition, standard AES-256-bit encryption ensures that your traffic remains hidden when you access streaming sites.
Read our detailed review of CyberGhost.
Is It Legal to Use a VPN in Switzerland?
If you want to get your first VPN, you may be wondering if it’s legal to take that step. It should be noted that although Switzerland is in Europe, it is NOT a member of the European Union (EU). This is a concern for many newcomers as this service has become controversial in many jurisdictions, with law enforcement agencies demanding that the logs of wanted persons be passed on to them.
To be perfectly clear, the use of a VPN in this country is still considered LEGAL, so the authorities are not obliged to respect and enforce EU laws on the internet. This means that you can use it without fear of being arrested by the Swiss authorities and prosecuted. In addition, the European country is not a member of any of the international intelligence gathering alliances.
In other words, if you want to obtain a VPN, you do not have to hide it from the government because the country does not have strict internet laws. However, you can actually get a good VPN service to bypass the streaming sites that you really like. More importantly, you need a VPN to hide your online activities from hackers. Remember that this service is capable of blocking ads, viruses, spyware and malicious sites.
As we write this study, you will be interested to know that it is LEGAL in the European country. Unlike other countries, torrents can even share copyrighted material, because the government believes that content creators make a living through other means such as musical concerts, live shows, cinemas, etc.
As a conclusion to this well-documented guide, we have explained in detail some of the updated information you should have about the best Swiss VPN and the government’s position on the use of VPN in their country. Although the government keeps an eye on all activities that take place in its cyberspace, the country is considered lenient when it comes to dealing with issues that are not related to online fraud.
Although the country is not a member of the European Union, Helvetia is known to amend relevant European laws to benefit its population. That being said, you should get a VPN to protect your online activities. According to a 2019 report by the social research institute gfs-Zurich, around one million Swiss people have been affected by cyber-attacks of varying degrees. The report revealed that cyber-attacks have resulted in financial losses on an unprecedented scale. Therefore, you should make a choice from the list of VPNs for Switzerland above to stay safe today.